The work of PianOrquestra is originated from a long academic research, based on the techniques of prepared and expanded piano, made by John Cage at the beginning of the century. Applied in a playful and creative way, they result in a pioneering work in Brazilian popular music.
The group has been impressing audiences and garnering a great deal of attention from the media because of its quality and originality since its debut in August 2003. With the release of the DVD in 2007, the group has achieved a very unusual media return for the intrumental music business quality. They were on the main page of the Cultural Notebooks of the newspapers in the cities which they’ve performed.
PianOrquestra stands out for its originality and quality with a work involving four pianists, a percussionist and a prepared piano. Considered one of the “10 best concerts of the year” by Jornal O Globo; in 2016, was awarded the highest score of the 3 Americas to participate in the Classical Next showcase in the Netherlands; has been on a full house concert tour in the main capitals of Brazil (Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo, Curitiba, Brasília, Belo Horizonte).
Piano, drumsticks, guitar picks, nylon strings, rubber sandals, metal, wood, fabric and plastic pieces, PianOrquestra explores the infinite possibilities of timbres and sonorities produced by the piano, transforming the instrument into its own orchestra.
PianOrquestra is musically directed by the renowned pianist Claudio Dauelsberg, who performs alongside the pianists Amanda Kohn, Nathália Martins, Veronica Fernandes, and the percussionist MAKO. The group explores in an unprecedented way the ethnic elements of the Brazilian roots, in virtuous interpretations, without giving up the sensitivity, delicacy and lyricism, in a repertoire that contains samba, ciranda, maracatu, among other Brazilian rhythms mixed with contemporary world influences.
The group has participated in TV shows such as Fantástico, Altas Horas, Faustão, Programa do Jô, Partituras, Terra Brasilis (MusicBox Brasil), Start (GNT), Instrumental Sesc TV, Jornal O Globo, Canal Curta, among others. Awarded by Rumos Itaú Cultural and by Telemar in 2005, the group is a constant presence in important stages and music festivals all over Brazil. The group already has two DVDs released with great success and recognition of the public and media, crowding theaters all over Brazil.
Since 2003, the 10 hands and 1 piano have performed in important international stages such as:
- International Piano Festival La Roque D ‘Anthéron, France;
- Tallinn International Piano Festival, Estonia;
- Concertgebouw Amsterdam, Netherlands;
- Elbphilharmonie, Hamburg, Germany;
- Konzerthaus, Berlin;
- Classical:NEXT 2016, De Doelen, Rotterdam, Netherlands;
- Belfast Festival, SARC, United Kingdom;
- Vancouver Jazz Festival, Canada;
- Oslo Brasil Music Festival, Norway;
- Casa da Música Porto, Portugal;
- Centro Cultural Belém, Portugal;
- Teatro Municipal do Rio de Janeiro, Brazil;
- Teatro IFT, Buenos Aires, Argentina;
- Teatro Nescafe de las Artes, Chile;
- Codarts, Rotterdam, Netherlands;
- Gävle Konserthus, Gävle, Sweden;
- Vasteras Konserthus, Vasteras, Sweden;
- Stora Teatern, Gothemburg, Sweden;
- Gerlersborgsskolan, Hamburgsund, Sweden;
- Olsbergs Arena, Eksjö, Sweden.